Apr 27, 2011

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Although we haven't finished going over this piece in class yet, I really enjoyed reading this. The first time I read it I didn't pick up on too many things, but after going over the first part in class and getting some ideas of what this poem was all about, I went back and reread it looking for more. After rereading it I realized how much is really going on in this poem and how many different ways it could be interpreted. The first thing I noticed in the first line, "Let us go then, you and I," was that the 'you' the speaker is referring to is the reader. However, it could be used as a significant other of the speaker. The most interesting part of this poem to me was some of the sexual references. The first part that had me thinking of sexual references was the "restless nights in one-night cheap hotels." When I hear that line I just think of what typically happens in one-night cheap hotels, and the fact that this is a love song of J. Alfred Prufrock. The other part of this poem that stood out to me more than anything else was the repetition of the the lines, "In the room the women come and go/ Talking of Michelangelo." Not only are these lines interesting and somewhat separate from the other stanzas in the poem, but it is the only section that is repeated. After going over the first half of the piece in class I am really interested to see what everyone will have to say about the rest of the poem.

1 comment:

  1. Cassie did a good job analyzing the story and did a good job explaining. The only thing I would have done more would be to go deeper into the story, but we did not get that far in the story so it was overall a good job.

    ReplyDelete