May 4, 2011

Sonnet 9

I had to read this sonnet quite a few times to understand it, but after I did I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure that I got all of what he was trying to say, but I got it for the most part. The sonnet speaks of a man being too afraid to get married because he doesn't want to leave his wife devastated when he dies. However, if he doesn't marry he won't have children and will die an old man without children. Because he won't have children, he will not have anyone to carry on any part of his existence. Without giving his love to a wife or children he will die without sharing his love and the world will be saddened by his selfishness. He should then be ashamed of his fear of not wanting to marry because he will upset so many people and be unable to share the love in which he should.

1 comment:

  1. This is kind of like sonnet three but the man wasn't afraid to leave his wife alone I think he just didn't want a commitment... In sonnet three that is. I think maybe Shakespeare was trying to tell us something? Maybe he was afraid to get married for all these reasons hmm I guess no one will ever know...

    ReplyDelete